Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Musings

There have been so many random thoughts in my head recently. So many lessons learned. So many superficial but interesting musings.

(1) Like any girl, I crave chocolate and think about the kind of man I would like to be married to someday. There are the deal breakers to think about: must love the Lord (duh) and be seeking after Him, be confident, humble, have a sense of humor. But I would also love it if he had a beard and liked to drink beer (responsibly!). As my past has shown me, the Lord is faithful to give me what I need, not necessarily what I want. So, I wonder what kind of man he will be.

(2) I also wonder if there will even be a husband in my future. Only time will tell. I do hope there will be one because one day...

(3) ...I want to be a foster/adoptive mom to a whole gaggle of children who need somebody to love them. And to love them not only with earthly love but also with the love of Christ. I would prefer to be married and give these children a chance to have both a mother and a father, and also so that I can have a support system for all the hard things that come along with children who have come from hard lives. I'm terribly, terribly excited for when this day comes!

(4) I love being a psychology major! It's all so interesting and applicable. And for your information, no, I'm not analyzing you. Rather, I'm analyzing me and how I'm reacting to you.

(5) My analysis of myself has led me to understand more of my self. For one, I'm a person with a high need of affiliation. This is the need for close, intimate, warm relationships. This kind of person is also more sensitive/anxious to interpreted cues that somebody doesn't like them, though they are often well liked by people.

(6) My love language is quality time and words of affirmation. I knew I was a quality time person, but I wasn't really aware that I was a words of affirmation person too. But with hindsight, I can definitely see this being true. With the exception of...

(7)...the fact that I also have a high need for honesty. I am a very honest person, but if you can't be honest with me in return, I will have a hard time accepting the things you say. I don't mean honest as in telling the truth, but in being real and not just being "Minnesotan nice."

(8) Along with the love languages assessment, I also took a language of apology assessment. I found out that I am the most receptive of an apology if the other person admits their wrong/responsibility in the matter. When it comes to conflict, I also find the most peace if I can tell the other person why I feel hurt (aka: why they hurt/frustrated me).

(9) Modern technology creates ADD in all of us. Between TV, computers and internet (especially facebook), and cell phones and texting, we are programed to constantly updated and quickly moving from task to task. We, as young American adult society are distracted. I am very much a member! I rarely write anything of a given length and when I do, I make it into a list (such as now). I am constantly wondering if I have a text message or if I have a new notification on facebook. I have a hard time focusing on any one thing for any real length of time. I even have a hard time focusing on the Word, even if I have adequate time to really dig in. I may have slept less my freshman year, but I was more focused then (at least when it comes to homework).

(10) With that being said, I think that I am going to challenge myself. Over break, I'm going to Indiana with my friends Hannah and Steffen for a week and a half. I will leave my phone at home and be rid of the internet (or at least facebook) for that period of time.

As for now: it is 1:30 am, I have laundry to fold, and I'm tired. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment