Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Riding Bandwagons

It's been awhile since I've written last. And because of that, there is much to say, or so it seems.

Numero uno. I'm still not really inspired. I know that doesn't matter to God, but it still makes it hard to want to pursue Him like He should be.
This summer, I have gotten on the "green" bandwagon. I like to recycle, I like the idea of eating organic and natural foods, and I like to avoid the many ways to obtain cancer. I like all these things so much, that I'm pretty sure you'll hear about it in the very near future if you haven't heard about it already. But here's the kicker. In church on Sunday, the message was over I Corinthians 9 (the one about running the race). Cor (the associate pastor, giving the message) was talking about how the Romans, or whoever, when they would participate in their big gaming events would spend a long time (like 11 months) with a strict and vigorous training schedule that could not be compromised at all, or they could not participate in the games. Then he (Cor) read verse 25, "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training [what I mentioned above]. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." Cor also mentioned that the crown that the Romans won was a celery crown that was super temporary, as in it would only last for a day. He then asked us as a church, "if they do all that for a temporary prize, what should we be doing for our everlasting prize of Christ?"
This hit me... If I get as excited as I do about things like recycling (to the point of bringing it up in most conversations some how), how much more excited should I be about what Christ has done in my life? How much more should I be bringing Him up in everyday conversations with all those I come in contact with? The answer: more than I do now!
(P.S. please recycle.)

Okay, numero dos. I am going through a selfish conversation time. I say things to look impressive, to bring up things that I know about (or think I do), or to at least find a way to bring up me. And then there has been a more than average amount of complaining that messles its way in as well. But most of the time when I catch myself doing this in the midst of that conversation, I will apologize. But most of the time, the reaction to the apology is the statement, "That's okay. I like to listen." FYI, it's NOT okay. Being a good listener does not negate the fact that I am sinning. Friends, once again, I want to encourage you to be honest. It's okay to say which end is up.

I'm sure there is more. But I will save those things for another night.
Grace and Peace my friends.

1 comment:

  1. I always heard the crown was temporary, but one day?! 11 months for something that lasts a day? 11 HARD,GRUELING, months!?!?

    Hmm..

    I guess when we compare things like that, we really must learn how to be devoted, and disciplined in this race of ours...

    ReplyDelete