Sunday, August 29, 2010

Behind the Glass Case

I read multiple books by Elizabeth Elliot this summer. Mostly because I desperately needed to hear what she had to say.
In her most popular book Passion and Purity, she wrote this:

"I wanted to marry a man prepared to swim against the tide. I took it for granted that there must be a few men left in the world who had that kind of strength. I assumed that those men would also be looking for women of principle. I did not want to be among the marked-down goods on the bargain table, cheap because they'd been pawed over. Crowds collect there. It is only few who will pay full price."

While I am work, I have the opportunity to think a lot. This past week, I thought quite a bit about this quote. While doing so, I came to the realization that I don't always mind being "pawed over." It is momentarily satisfactory to feel wanted, and just like at the store, more people pay attention when there is a sale. But that also means that the value of the desired object is lowered.

When I thought about what was cheap and what was expensive at the store, I equated E. Elliot's full priced items to fine jewelry. Gold and diamonds are expensive and are locked behind a glass case. When people walk into a department store, often they will bypass the fine jewelry for items that are more readily affordable. But when that fine jewelry is really a gem of a girl, it can get lonely watching everybody pass by. It makes one want to put out the Sale sign to catch some attention.

So this is my confession. It's hard to wait for the one who will pay full price. Sometimes I buy into the lie that that kind of man doesn't exist. Sometimes I forget to fight the urge to live a life that speaks of my value (which is found only through Christ). Sometimes I want to be "pawed over."

Sometimes, but not always. I will, by the grace of God, continue to fight the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment