This summer has been a lonely one for me.
This is the summer that I simply just had to work, no complaints. I had just graduated, was jobless for a few weeks and was running out of money, then I landed two jobs (a 2 month temp job and a waitressing job) within a week of each other. I worked hard, sometimes putting in more than 70 hours a week. I had also made commitments to other things and have tried to make it to important family events. And in doing all these things, I found little time for church, the Word, friends, laundry, and even sleep. But I'm making it through. I'm approaching the light at the end of the tunnel.
Throughout this summer, I haven't seen many of my friends. One: because I didn't really ever have the time to give. But also two: because none of them ever really called. And honestly that hurts a little.
And while that hurts, it's also a reminder to me. How often to I make a point to connect with the people who are important to me? Do I always expect them to be there or do I call simply just to connect with them? Mostly, I think I'm just as selfish about my friendships as I want to accuse others of being with me.
The "Golden Rule" works its magic again.
Friday, August 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ah, Cassie, I run into the same thing - I think part of my problem is that I am content to be home by myself, so I don't often think to call people up after I've been at work all day. Or I see someone for the first time in a while and say "hey let's get together and do something!" and then fail at following through with that - that's been the story of my summer :/
ReplyDelete