I was spending time with a friend today and something dawned on me: I haven't had one really insightful or deep or really meaningful thing to share. I felt shallow. Not as in "platinum blond can't stop thinking about myself and shopping" shallow, but without any real substance or even emotion shallow. The state I am in only goes down about an inch deep right now.
When did this start or what am I doing wrong? What other thing should I be doing?
And this got me thinking about the things that I used to do when I felt like I actually had something really intelligent, insightful, or deep to share.
I feel like I haven't read enough, spent enough time at church, spent enough time reading or understanding the word, spent enough quality time with friends, spent enough time being spontaneous and adventurous me, worked enough, etc. etc. I don't even feel like I've been dancing enough.
I feel like I haven't done enough of a lot of things, but I feel like I'm always busy or tired. Then what is it that I'm doing that is taking away from all the time that I want/should be doing other things? I don't honestly know.
Well, is this one of Satan's great lies: that I'm not enough? I don't think so. I think that this realization is something more along the lines of a "healthy fear." Just as we are to "fear the Lord," part of me thinks that its good that I fear being too shallow. Its forcing me to evaluate where my time goes. Now, hopefully apathy won't get in the way.
My friend actually shared with me a song lyric from Mumford and Sons that makes a lot of sense:
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won."
Monday, June 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment