Today I was listening to a song at work, and all of a sudden a thought hit me in the face. Most of the relationships I have seen or been a part of (and not just romantic relationships, but friends, acqaintances, family, and stranger relationships too) have been mostly self-serving. Sure, once you get to know the other person, you want to do things for them too, but mostly, you're one half of that relationship because you get something out of it. And I don't like that...Not. One. Bit.
The song I was listening to is called "We're All the Same" by Lukas Haas. The lyrics that caught me are: "We're all the same, why do we tear ourselves apart? We all feel pain, cause we're all the same." Not the most profound, but what I needed to hear. And then other songs about love followed after that song about how hurt or wanting the person was.
Our relationships should not be because we enjoy this or that person, but because God has placed someone in our lives.
Philippians 2:3-5 ~ Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: ...
Hebrews 10:23-25 ~ Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
I need so much help to see all the people in my life through the eyes of Christ. There are some people that I need to apologize to, because in the end "we're all the same...we all feel pain." And I want to grow to love people as Christ would have me love them...for the person he created them to be...not as the person that I want to have around.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like this post. It is hard to be selfless isn't it?
ReplyDeleteSometimes I ask myself, "Who is the first person I think about when I get up in the morning?"
That is a really big key into what we are about.
Keep it up Cassie!
you are so right cassi, we need to love like jesus and see them through His eyes. who knows why we are here or know the people we know other than god?
ReplyDeletethanks cassi :)
you certainly are a great jesus-friend to me!